Monday, November 07, 2005

Dave Matthews Band- Typical Situation

It is late at night in the summer of 1996. The whole world is tucked soundly in bed, but I lie cold and sleepless in an old cot made firm by a wooden board. Dave is counting down from ten but I don't know why. I cover my shoulders with my thick woolen blanket hoping it will shield me from the cold, but I know the nip I feel is on the tip of my nose and in my cheeks. I hear a cough over the music which reminds me that thirteen others sleep soundly around me. Looking around the room, I see their silhouettes. I watch the peaceful rise and fall of their chests. For them, time continues steadily through the night. Jealously, I shut me troubled eyes. I am alone, stuck. "It's a typical situation in these typical times."
And then... wind chimes send me to a new place. I feel a honey sweet breeze burning the frost off my chilly nose and cheeks. I am in a grassy field, on a pebbled beach, on an sandy island; in a midsummer's romance. "Everybody's happy, everybody's free, keep the big door open, and everyone will come around." I want to jump out of bed, run outside, and cover myself in life. If only I had a prism of light which could paint over this dark night world with a rainbow of daylight. Tomorrow can't come too soon. Life will be so full around me, tomorrow. My cold jealousy has melted away and the boys sleeping next to me threaten me no longer. They are ignorant to their emptiness, and I am full. I am alone, free.

No comments: